Try jiu jitsu free for one week!
Perhaps you are thinking about trying a martial art for the first time? Maybe you have trained in a different style and are interested in learning jiu jitsu? There are a wide range of martial arts out there and we want you to be able to find out whether Shorinji Kan Jiu Jitsu is right for you. That's why we invite anybody who is interested to come and try out our classes for a week free of charge and with no obligation.
As a first timer all you need to do is turn up to the dojo in lightweight clothing suitable for a workout. If you just want to watch a class then that is fine as well, but we would encourage you to take part if you feel comfortable enough to do so. If you have any questions please do get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A typical class
- Welcome ceremony - Our style follows some of the Japanese traditions which accompanied that country's martial arts as they were spread around the world. We bow (or "rei") as we enter the dojo in acknowledgement of the fact that we are entering a training space. We bow to our Sensei before the beginning of training as a mark of respect and to show that we are ready to train.
- 30 minute warm-up - This is a time to loosen muscle and raise heart rates in preparation for training. This will often involve a cardio and strength workout followed by exercises designed to engage the mind and sharpen the reflexes.
- 15 minute breakfalling - Our style places great stress on the body, and learning how to dissipate that stress without causing yourself harm is a key part of the class.
- 65 minutes main class - The instructor will then guide the students through a series of techniques. This will vary from class to class but may involve a combination of throwing, locking, striking, ground fighting or weapons training.
- 10 minute cool-down - As with all workouts, we end with a light cardio workout followed by stretching and relaxation.
- Ending ceremony - As we indicated our readiness to train on entering the dojo, so we acknowledge the completion of the training session and show our thanks to the instructors.